Bragg Creek Centre
It is difficult to know what to say in these uncertain times. Our community and the Community Centre look very different as I write this. Do I tell you about the programs and events that have been postponed or cancelled? Do I tell you about events that are scheduled for the coming months without knowing if they too will be cancelled? One thing I can tell you is that in times like these we see what our community is made of. We are strong, compassionate and kind, ready to help our neighbours without question.
Some community members immediately took to social media with offers to pick up and deliver groceries or supplies to those that are unable, so many so that a local Facebook group “Bragg Creek and Area Community Support” was created specifically for this reason. There are links to forms that can be shared and submitted outside of social media for people requesting help and people offering help.
Local restaurants are offering curbside and home delivery services to those practicing social distancing.
Our local grocery store, Bragg Creek Foods is offering grocery delivery service.
The Bragg Creek and Area Chamber of Commerce is keeping an updated listing of local businesses and services that are open on their Facebook page. Please support our local businesses where possible. They are struggling too.
People are posting about free online courses and cultural enrichment opportunities as the school systems try to navigate this impossible task of continuing to offer instruction from afar.
We are banding together in this time of physical separation.
If you are in greater need of support, please reach out to one of the following resources:
- Cochrane Addiction & Mental Health: 1.877.652.4700
- Emergency Prescriptions: www.alberta.ca/income-support-how-to-apply.aspx
- Distress Centre (24 hours): 403.266. HELP (4357)
- Alberta Income Supports (Tue/Thu): 403-932-1033, www.alberta.ca/income-support-how-to-apply.aspx
- Service Canada (EI): canada.ca/EI
- Bragg Creek Foods delivery: 403.949.3747
- Bragg Creek Food Bank: email@example.com
- Cochrane and RVC Food hamper requests: 403.851.2250
- Meals for Your Freezer: 403.851.2250
- St. Andrews Church lunch to go on Tuesdays (12-1pm): 403-932-2585
If you need help, please call:
- Distress Centre: 403.266.HELP (4357) (24 hours crisis line)
- Resource Centre: 403.851.2250 (Mon- Fri 8:30am-4:30pm)
Current community initiatives on Facebook:
- Bragg Creek and Area Community Support
- Cochrane Covid-19 Volunteers
- Cochrane Online Community Pantry
To donate to the Bragg Creek Food Bank or Crisis Fund:
- www.braggcreekchurch.ca/give Memo “foodbank/crisis fund”
- Food can be dropped off at the Hub
2-1-1 operates 24/7 with referrals to community and social agencies. They also offer chat and online services www.ab.211.ca/.
In case of an emergency call 9-1-1.
Reach out to friends and neighbours regularly. Relationships are important for our health and well-being. A simple reminder that we are not alone can make the difference to someone.
Although the Centre is closed the staff continue to work so that we are ready to hit the ground running when this is all over. Please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to be of assistance in any way we can. Keep checking our website for updates braggcreekca.com.
I truly hope that as you are reading this life has started to go back to normal. In the instance that it hasn’t… We are here for you.
by Christine Pollard,
Program and Event Manager
PS: A heartfelt Thank you to all those that offered to help with the BCCA Casino. Although it was cancelled due to mandatory closure, we have learned that we may still benefit from a share of the proceeds.