Reminders About Smoke & CO Alarms!
With daylight savings time ending, it’s a great time to check your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
· Test your smoke and CO alarms monthly
· Ensure everyone in the house knows what the alarms sound like and what to do when they hear it
· Change the batteries every six months
· Follow manual instructions for cleaning and maintaining the alarms
What To Do If the Alarm Sounds
- Have an escape plan. Discuss and practice it.
- Always feel the door to see if it is hot before opening it to escape. If the doorknob is hot, don’t use that exit. Use an alternate exit.
- Crawl on the floor. Smoke rises, so does the temperature. If you crawl on the floor, there will be less smoke and heat from the fire there.
- Meet family members at a pre- arranged spot outside the home.
- Call 9-1-1 from a neighbour’s home.
- Never go inside (or return to) a burning building for any reason.
You can protect your family from fires!
Here’s a fire safety checklist to reduce the chances a fire may start in your home:
· Keep your furnace in good working order
· Use a fireplace screen
· Have proper ventilation for heaters and small appliances
· Don’t smoke in bed
· Close bedroom doors overnight
· Don’t use worn out electrical wiring or run it under rugs or out windows or doors
· Clear away clutter!
Until next month, stay safe!